Participate in Data Privacy Day with Data Shredding Services of Texas, Inc. – Houston
As identity theft continues to increase across the United States, businesses in Texas can (and should) support “Data Privacy Day”. Are you wondering what a “Data Privacy Day” is? In an effort to increase awareness around data privacy and the importance of information security, this day was established. Specifically, Data Privacy Day is recognized on January 28th, a direct reflection of the data protection legislation that was passed this day, back in 1981 (Convention 108). Essentially the law outlines the need for privacy and data protection, as well as an individual’s rights when it comes to protecting their personal information.
This important day is recognized throughout North America and Europe, where many schools and businesses will develop events and activities surrounding the topic of data security, and ways in which to build awareness around the risks involved, as well as tips for privacy protection. Here in Houston Texas, and the rest of North America, privacy laws include the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act (FACTA) and the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act. Each of these laws state it is essential that all sensitive records are securely stored and completely destroyed, when they become outdated and are no longer relevant.
What can you do on Data Privacy day and everyday to help control your personal information?
- Never provide detailed personal information, unless it’s necessary. If you have been requested to provide your email address, postal address, birth date etc., always ask why and how it will be used. This applies to online activity as well as phone call activity. If it sounds sketchy, it probably is.
- Verify that your computer has the latest version of anti-virus protection software, and install the most up to date internet browser as well, so your computer and wireless network is completely secure.
- Make it a priority to secure your mobile device with difficult to guess passwords, and never store critical information on one.
- Adapt a Shred-All Policy. Shred all old documents containing sensitive information about your company, customers, employees etc. These should never be tossed away in a garbage or recycling bin because there is no security in doing so.
- Backup critical data on a regular basis – Whether backed up on tape or disk, ensure you have more than one copy stored off-site in case of a natural disaster or internal system error.
- Promote the day in company newsletters and hold security awareness training for all employees.
Data Shredding Services of Texas, Inc – Houston takes Data Privacy Day seriously and we are more than happy to look after your unique data protection needs. We provide both onsite and offsite paper shredding services in the Houston area. Take advantage of Data Privacy Day and allow us to shred your outdated confidential data. Data Privacy Day is a perfect way to begin the year, and a perfect way to celebrate January 28th. Contact us for more information at 713-463-9300